Heavy on my heart is a notion that has come up in several seemingly spontaneous conversations as of late...
The notion is that we are not good Christians unless we are married and raising a houseful of children. That we are not living our callings as Christian women unless we have a husband, and are submitting to him in every way, and pursuing a life's calling of motherhood and homemaking. Anything outside of the realm of home and family is a worldly pursuit and not the true calling of a Christian woman.
This notion goes by a lot of different names. Call it what you will.
I call it wrong.
Listen. I love motherhood. I love homemaking. I have a husband, and he has me. I love him, too.
BUT. None of those things make me a "good" Christian.
The only thing that makes me a "good" Christian is Christ. Not my goodness - I have none. It is all Jesus. All Jesus.
Only Jesus.
You can't ADD "holiness" to the gospel. That negates the gospel! The perfection and beauty of the gospel is that IT STANDS ALONE, and everything else good follows it.
"Holiness" is not the pursuit. "Biblical womanhood" is not the pursuit. Balance is not the pursuit. Fixing ourselves is not the pursuit! A husband, a home, children... those things are not the pursuit.
These are all good things and every good thing is a gift from Above, but make no mistake -
The pursuit of EVERY believer is Jesus Christ.
Everything else is a gift. A grace. Everything.
Please, lets not forget that it is the grace of Christ by which we are saved, not our works. Not our marital status. Not our procreation. Not our professions. Not our intellects. Not our submission. Not our self-help. Not our excellence. Not our virtue.
It was his blood, his gift, his grace. That makes him the savior.
Seek the Savior. He will lead you where you are to go.
You will become who he wants you to be.
Seek Him! He loves you! He died for you! Greater love no one on earth has for you, Sister. No one loves you more. You are not alone.
3 comments:
Good reminder for me - one who likes to try to make myself perfect without submitting my idea of perfect to the one who is perfection. I think even our definition of perfect is totally flawed until we will know Him fully one day. That should be our pursuit, perfection comes in knowing Perfection Himself.
Well said!!!
Can't argue with that! Amen! ♥
Post a Comment