Monday, June 25, 2012

The Hand of God - Summertime Edition

I am increasingly thankful for the little things, these days. Things that cost next to nothing, but make life rich. Things that are the foundation of my kids' childhood memories. Things that make me aware of the hand of God in our lives.

Lest you think the hand of God is stingy, look what we found in our "garden" last week:


Wild blackberries! Every single one of those was delicious. We picked a bowlful, and ate them straight off the bushes too. We are not growing these intentionally... we just found them all ripe and ready to go in the mulch-pile area along the back side of our house one hot day last week. And we picked them in our pajamas, too.


There is a wonderful swimming lake and park not too far away that we visited last Friday. Leah spent most of the afternoon duck hunting... she would hide in the water near the reeds and just wait until the raft of ducks swam by, then she would fly out of her hiding spot and chase them down, hoping against hope that she might catch one. Never did catch one, but she never did stop trying, either. Poor ducks!



Susie has figured out a much easier way to get to hold a duck - go to dad's Company Picnic at the fairgrounds where the Critter Barn has a petting farm set up, and snuggle the baby animals there.


We love the Critter Barn. It never gets old. I would not mind having my own little farm someday. What am I saying? With two dogs, a cat, two children and a husband, I already live in a zoo! 

It's exhausting, really. 


But worth it in so many girls-in-pretty-summer-dresses kinds of ways. 

1 comment:

Linda said...

Adorable glimpse into your summertime life! :)

Funny about the blackberries, I do indeed grow them (planted on purpose) along the eastern edge of our fence and this is the first year where they are really producing, but I'm thinking I'm going to need to buy long armed leather gloves to get in there because the thorns are really large and treacherous! You remind me that I need to check the shrubs when I get home because we were away this weekend and I'm sure there's more ripened now if the birds haven't gotten them first! :O