Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Five Long Years...

Dear Reader,

Did you know I've been blogging - irregularly - for five whole years? I started this blog the summer of 2007. Initially, I began it to keep better in touch with my friends and family, most of whom lived far away from my little corner of the world. Then, as life progressed, writing here became a good way for me to sort through and process, as I do much better processing on paper than I do verbally. And now, I have many friends here and all over, and thanks to Facebook we keep each other more updated than is probably necessary!

I go through phases, though. For a time I might write a lot. Then I switch it up and listen to music to decompress... then I get engrossed in books and do nothing but read. I mix these activities up with a fair amount of creativity elsewhere, like knitting and cooking, because at the core of my being I'm a Creative far more than I am anything else.

One of my outlets for creativity is scrap-booking. When Leah was a baby, my sister Molly introduced me to Creative Memories and I was instantly hooked. I love paper crafts and scrap-booking is like being in Kindergarten again for grown ups. And when you have a brand-new baby and a brand-new digital camera, well, you find you have a need for scrapbooks.

I scrapped incessantly for a few years - up until Susie was born, actually. I have a few huge albums of my own done, and many more I made for gifts. But I have way more pictures un-scrapped than I do scrapped, and once Susie was here life amped way up and I had to let creative things go just in order to survive. (Which wasn't really successful, in hindsight.)

Anyway, so here I am now, in a different season of life where I have a little more time and a lot of creative juices returning, so I've picked up my scrap-booking again where I left on many moons ago - the summer before Susie was born, right about the time I began blogging.

I went back this morning to look and see what I may have posted here this time five years ago. It made me laugh out loud, because THIS exact blog post is FINALLY a page in my scrapbook as of LAST NIGHT.

Some things might take five years... but hey, better late than never. :-)

Happy Bloggiversary, and here's to many more years of creativity!

Hilary

Leah shares her world with her Bunny

P.S. I'm happy to report that Bunny is still alive and an active member of our family. He's had a few repairs done over the years, but nothing so drastic as a head re-attached. He has taken more baths since that first one five years ago and he has been lost a few times... but always found. He has bumped along on bikes, flown on airplanes and ridden on trains. He often shares his accommodations congenially with his cousins Bear and Blue Blankie. Lately he has taken to wearing a long purple scarf at night, tied tightly around his neck on one end and tightly around Leah's wrist on the other end, so that if he should fall down the crack between the bed and the wall during the night, he can be easily retrieved. He has gone to almost every day of Kindergarten with his Leah, and he often tags along to church, too. I don't know if he'll go to 1st Grade or not... bunny years might be a bit like dog years, and he might be getting too old for this, we shall see.

I think I'll let Leah decide.


2 comments:

Ruthmarie said...

I love it, Hilary! It's so great to have this peek into your life & your family. Especially enjoyed the "history" of Bunny & cousins!

Linda said...

I love this so much, as I do all of your posts. Congratulations on the blog milestone and on picking back up on your scrapbooking! :D

Do you know that scrapbooking is one thing I've never gotten into. I don't know why... Lord knows I have boxes of photos that I removed from those old nasty photo albums (the ones that destroy photographs) years ago, and I should do something with all of those. Maybe someday... I was just thinking this morning walking into the office from the car - 7 years. 7 years until retirement. That certainly seems like a very long way off though on this dismal Tuesday morning. :P

Kind regards,
Linda