Thursday, August 2, 2012

A Walk in the Park

One of our favorite things to do, the girls and I, is to go exploring. We have a variety of parks and natural spaces around where we live, and I think by now we've been to all of them at least once. During the winter just past it was warm enough that we often did this on our days off of school.

Yesterday was a beautiful day, and the girls and I decided it was a great day for the library and the park. They wanted to go to a park we had not been to before, which is hard to do, as we've been to all of the ones in our area. So we picked one we haven't been to since Christmas break.

This park has a small lake, a playground, and miles of trails that wind around up and down and along the banks of the Grand River. In the winter, it's a great place for cross-country skiing. In the spring, it's a great place for getting muddy. And in the summer, like yesterday, it was very nearly perfect! Just seconds before I snapped this picture of Leah and Susie, they had been walking down the trail holding hands. :-)




"Look, Mom! I'm a sloth!"

"And I'm a koala!"
























Leah wanted to use my camera while we were there. She is a great photographer for being six years old! I always like to see what she finds to photograph. These pictures are all ones she took:













After about an hour on the trails, the girls were worn out. It had gotten hot, and we were without water. At one point, Susie said "Somebody get a stretcher! I need carrying out of here!"


We finally made it back to the picnic area, and a picnic bench sufficed for Susie's rest. We took great gulps of water from the meager drinking fountain, and maybe had a little bit of a water fight to cool off in the process.


And aside from my feet hurting like mad the rest of the day, it was a great adventure!

2 comments:

Linda said...

That's my kind of a day for sure!! :)

Your daughter is a wonderful photographer.

This was a delight to read.
Have a great weekend,
Linda

Kathy said...

Wonderful record of a warm summer day. And Leah...what a photographer. Good eye! Wow.