Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Jesus Stories

A few weeks ago a friend of mine asked me what part of the bible I read when I’m going through a hard time.

It depends, I said. It depends on what is causing that hard time.


If it’s persecution coming from other people, I often find comfort in the Psalms, ‘cause many of them were written by David when he was crying out to God in the middle of persecution from human enemies. I have been through seasons like this, particularly in workplace environments, where I feel like everyone is hating and conspiring against me. David was a seasoned expert at this part of life, and if anyone can speak to it, he can.


On the other hand, if it’s my own self that’s causing me grief - I’ve got a bad habit I need to break, I’m harboring ill will in my heart towards someone or something, something is wrong with ME - I seek counsel from the epistles. The Apostle’s letters to the churches in the New Testament are written for me in times like this.


But if its life circumstances in general that are giving me a hard time, I really like to just hear Jesus talk about it. Jesus is all comfort in the middle of the raging storms of life. So then I read Matthew and John. Those are my favorite gospels.


When my friend and I were having this conversation, I was in the middle of hard life circumstances. So I took my own advice and sat down a day or two later to read again the words and works of Jesus.


Often when I sit down to read Jesus Stories, I’ll pick up a different version of the bible than one I’ve read before. It keeps it fresh and alive for me - kind of like hearing a song I already know sung in a different language. So this time I picked up The Message.


I sometimes reference The Message for a different approach on a particular passage or scripture when I’m studying something, but I have not ever just sat down to READ the bible in this particular idiomatic translation. Much has been said about the scholarship and validity of The Message as a "readers bible" by people much more qualified than I to understand things like literal and figurative.


All I know is that The Message rings clear and true to me.


I began in Matthew. Jesus, clear and true. And in a day I moved on to Mark. Here are some of the passages I underlined:


“This is my son, chosen and marked by my love, delight of my life.”


He also healed people of their diseases and of the bad effects of their bad lives.


“You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule.

“You’re blessed when you care. At the moment of being ‘care-full,’ you find yourselves cared for.

“You’re blessed when you get your inside world - your mind and heart - put right. Then you can see God in the outside world.”


“Don’t begin by traveling to some faroff place to convert unbelievers. And don’t try to be dramatic by tackling some public enemy. Go to the lost, confused people right here in the neighborhood. Tell them the kingdom is here. Bring health to the sick. Raise the dead. Touch the untouchables. Kick out the demons. You have been treated generously, so live generously. Don’t think you have to put on a fundraising campaign before you start. You don’t need a lot of equipment. You are the equipment, and all you need to keep that going is three meals a day. Travel light.”


Jesus said “If? There are no ‘ifs’ among believers. Anything can happen.”


Jesus was matter-of-fact: “Embrace this God-life. Really embrace it, and nothing will be too much for you. This mountain, for instance: Just say, ‘Go jump in the lake’ - no shuffling or shilly-shallying - and it’s as good as done. That’s why I urge you to pray for absolutely everything, ranging from small to large. Include everything as you embrace this God-life, and you’ll get God’s everything.


I just kept reading. And reading. And underlining, and noting, and scribbling, and praying as I went, thanking God for this breath of fresh air, this living Message.


As I have been reading through the New Testament in The Message, one thing stands out crystal clear to me: the use of the word ‘message.’ Over and over and over “the message” is as central to the writing as a main character. In Paul’s letters, in Peter’s letters, in James’ letter, in John’s letters - it’s the message, the message, the message.


Every letter Paul wrote has at some point an urging not to stray from the message, not to complicate the message, not to add anything to the message... to stick to the message, the message is as true today as it was when you first heard it, the message doesn’t change, continue to spread the message, keep the message simple, don’t ever quit on the message!


James exhorts us to honor God’s Message, not write graffiti all over it.


John reminds us of the original message, it’s essence being love and light.


Peter says listen to the message! What’s it going to be like for those who refuse God’s Message?! Do we realize how fortunate we are to have this Message?! Angels would have given anything to be in on this!


The Message. You want to know what the New Testament is about? It’s about The Message.


What is The Message?


Death Defeated, Life Vindicated; this is The Message. (2 Timothy 1:10-11)


Who defeated death and vindicated life?


Jesus.


How? Why?


Jesus Stories.


To so many, the bible is too complex and complicated to understand. To so many, it’s viewed as a rule book. A huge list of do’s and don’ts. Impossible.


But it’s really this:


Jesus. Death defeated. Life vindicated. Spread the word. Jesus.





Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.


1 comment:

Kristin said...

I so agree about the Message paraphrase. It definitely has its place in my library. I don't use it exclusively, and wouldn't recommend that anyone does, but it's great if you know how to read it as a complement to other translations. Some of the phrases in the Message have helped me understand concepts in new ways that I wouldn't have come to otherwise.