Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Morning Meltdowns

I wish I didn't have to resort to sharp words with my kids this morning before school.

Neither child felt compelled to just jump right up out of bed and obediently start getting ready for the day. I can't say that I blame them, but I also can't let them laze around all morning and forego an education.

So I tried all the things I usually try that usually work. Pleasant cajoling. Tickling. Bribing. Counting. Threatening. Bodily hauling.

Why isn't this easier?!

What started out as a promising morning ended up with Leah accidentally banging her head on the wall trying to get away from me, big bad ugly mommy monster that I am, and immediately falling head long into a bonafide meltdown. Followed shortly thereafter by Susie ignoring and disobeying four separate requests to come in to the bathroom to start getting ready for school.

I finally had to go in, forcefully remove an electronic game from her hands, haul her out of bed and physically steer her to the bathroom.

This, of course, caused her sensitive little soul to burst in to wailing tears.

Meltdown of the Morning #2.

What am I doing wrong, God? I gave them many chances to do the right thing without tears! What on earth?!

Maybe God chuckled when he murmured this to my heart... ah, so now you see how I often feel.

I love my daughters tremendously... he loves me even to death.

I work patiently with my daughters, giving them chance after chance to do the right thing... he is infinitely gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

My daughters are human and will make the wrong choices sometimes, as I am and have done... he made atonement for our sins, and binds up the broken hearts that become of them.

I agonize over the hurt that my daughters' disobedience causes them and me... as does he.

The good news is that he can - and has - done something about it.

Atonement.

Forgiveness.

Reconciliation.

Oreos before school. Hugs, kisses, laughter.

Hearts made new.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Oh how well I remember the morning meltdowns from Sarah's early years! Oddly enough, once she got into high school, all of that stopped, and she literally just pops out of bed when the alarm goes off and is always timely now. I have no idea how that happened, I suppose she's grown more responsible and yet she's a teen and they're supposed to want to sleep all the time. ;)

Hilary said...

It's not a usual occurrence for us, but usually indicative of other things... not enough sleep, growth spurts, new teeth, etc. This too shall pass. :-)