This is Leah's last week of Kindergarten.When older parents tell you to cherish every moment with your kids because time flies really fast and soon you'll be sending them off into the world as an adult, they are right. They aren't kidding one bit.
Time flies really fast.
Even when it seems like time is slugging along like cold molasses.
I had so much joy and happy expectations for my girls at the start of this school year, and now that we're at the close I can say Leah (and Susie) have for sure learned a few things, like how to read and write and conceptualize numbers... and I have for sure learned a few things too.
Like how to hold everything loosely, openhanded, because I am not really in control - God is.

How to appreciate His lavish generosity towards us. How to find and understand His lavish generosity, because often it is hidden behind the things we think of as trials and setbacks.
How to let go. How to dream.
How to love better - not just my kids, but my kids' friends, and their parents, and their teachers... and myself, too.
How to trust in someone and something other than myself.
How to surrender to a bigger plan than my own plan.
Yep, I sure learned a lot in Kindergarten!
Leah tells me she's sad to leave her class because she really likes it there. I understand. I like it there too. We keep explaining to her that every year in school you finish your class and move on to the next class. It's normal. It's what we do. Doesn't always make it easy, though.
That's where we come back to the lessons we've just been through - we now know how to read, write, do numbers. How to let go, trust, dream and love. Next year might be a new class, but we've sure as heck got a good foundation built on which to grow.
It might have been hard, but it was oh so good. Worth it in every way.
And now... here we grow.

3 comments:
This is beautiful and so true.
Yes, I'm the older parent with my girl just finishing up her last 2 days of Sophomore year of High School and asking how it can be possible that Junior year is just around the horizon. But I feel like I'm ready, because I've been letting go the minute she was born. We have to. As you wrote - it's God's plan. :)
Hope you all enjoy a beautiful summer.
Linda
Those photos are adorable, Hilary. Your girls are so cute and have so much personality!
So precious! I love reading your family blog!
Post a Comment